Sunday, March 19, 2006

Silk!

One of my favorite yarn stores had their semi-annual sale this week. Here’s what I got:

Sari silk and silk yarns

There are two skeins of sari silk from Blue Mango. I’ve been wanting to try out a technique of knitting this reclaimed yarn on very large needles and then sewing it onto a background fabric and using several surface techniques on it. The yarn is just too heavy to be used for anything other than a very narrow scarf, but it is lovely stuff, so I’m going to give it a try. See the sample I’ve knit? It was done on size 35 needles and is about 8 ½” by 11”. I intend to sew it to background fabric with decorative threads, cover it with a sheer or tulle and heat gun the results. Then we’ll see if I like it well enough to do more of it.

I learned about this technique in a recent issue of Quilting Arts Magazine, my very favorite craft magazine. Do check it out!

I also got some other silk yarns that were marked down. I do love to knit with silk! The third yarn is by Collinette, called Giotto. I've been wanting to knit with this yarn since it came out, but really cannot afford to invest as much as it takes to make a large garment. I got two skeins to make a scarf/shawl.

My local knitting guild, The Wool Gatherers, held their annual “garage sale” this week. Members can bring anything the wish to cull from their stash of yarns and related items to sale, trade or donate. I didn’t bring anything (my bad), but here’s what I bought:

Roving and silk/rayon yarn

Roving is great for pin cushions and this huge ball of it ($2.00) should last for a long time! I’ve been wanting to make socks in a silk rayon blend to see how they would wear, and this yarn (also $2.00) is 75% rayon and 25% silk. Should be fun to knit with and aren’t the colors pretty?

I also took a quick project class this week and made a very useful version of a chatelaine made out of ribbons. I’ll post that next time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home